Subtitel

A blog by Juri Urbainczyk | Juri on Google+ | Juri on Twitter | Juri on Xing

Thursday, August 30, 2012

"100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People" - a Review

I discovered this very worthwhile book by Susan M. Weinschenk some weeks ago in a tweet about design nd presentation literature.

I simply love this book. It's about the psychology of design and covers many topics (like "How people remember", "How people decide" and "How people focus attention") which are very, very relevant for everybody who only sometimes has to design a user interface, a web site or any other tool which is used by humans.

I found "100 things" to be one of the most interesting and fascinating popular science books I've ever read. That's mainly because of two reasons:
1) There is lots of well founded and well presented information - most of it surprising.
2) It is well structured and thus fun to read.

The book contains 100 insights (like "people remember only four items at once") which are presented on 2 to 3 pages each. Every insight is introduced in well written language and also structured in a very user-friendly way which for the reader is easy to digest. E.g., each contains a "Takeaways" box, which sums up the most important facts and keeps the reader on track. Especially important texts are highlighted in colored boxes, making it easy to find them later on. So, the author seems apply her own findings to the design of her own book and that really shows.

Personally, I am working in the field of software design and development and the contents of this book are very much applicable for me. Many ideas came to my mind how to apply these findings in my own work while I was reading. Therefore, I very much recommend this book. Go buy it, read it and you'll certainly read it (or parts of it) again.

If you're are interested in similar books I can also recommend:
  • Dont' make me think - Steve Krug
  • Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die - Chip & Dan Heath
  • Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery - Garr Reynolds

No comments:

Post a Comment